Today’s Phenomenal Woman:
Rebecca Lee Crumpler (1831 – 1895)
- First black woman in the United States to earn an M.D. degree (this fact has been disputed and attributed to Rebecca Cole
- Born in Delaware
- Attended the New England Female Medical College and became the only African-American to graduate and the first black woman to earn a medical degree
- 1883- Her ‘Book of Medical Discourses’ is one of the very first medical publications by an African-American – this was a book with medical advice for women and children
- She worked with the Freedmen’s Bureau, community and missionary groups to provide care to freed slaves with no access to medical care.
- No other photos or other images of Dr. Crumpler survive from her lifetime. The little known about Dr. Crumpler comes from her book.